Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Matthew 7:24-27

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
I won't lie. I really wanted to title this blog something along the lines of  "Bite Me, Harvey". I guess it was a God thing that right as that thought entered my mind the scripture followed immediately.

On August 29th (Happy 8th Anniversary, Robert! Ha!) Hurricane Harvey's flood waters invaded my home. My home that sits in a 100 year flood plain & therefor does not have flood insurance. The water rose to 3 feet inside the house and stayed for 3 days. Over 48 inches of rain poured over our house in just 4 days. Unreal.

For the last few weeks my emotions have run the gamut. I think I've probably felt everything you can possibly feel. Sometimes all at once & sometimes up & down. Sorrow, hope, dread, helplessness , thankfulness, joy, peace, the list goes on. Maybe the only thing I haven't felt is patience (definitely not my strong suit!)

I keep circling back to the thought that R & I have been married for 8 years. We have spent those 8 years working towards many things, one of those things being a home we could really be proud of. Nothing extravagant, but we were finally turning a house into a home with matching furniture, rooms that made sense, even a rug here & there! It felt good to know that in a few short months we would see our hard work pay off. Harvey took that away in one 4 day rain storm.

But you know what? When it comes down to it, that doesn't matter. I mean, talk about "First World Problems"!! I have so many thoughts floating around & feeeeelings that I need to get out. I want to look back and really remember this time. So hopefully I can utilize this little blog to write some of these things down and look back on them.

I feel like this is going to be a process I want to remember. I have so many things to say, so hopefully there will be more posts to come.

1 comment: