Monday, June 18, 2018

Father's Day Weekend

This weekend was the best weekend I've had in a long time. So good, in fact, that I felt the need to blog about it. I had more to say than what would fit in a Facebook post and I didn't feel like just the pictures would do it justice.

Since the house flooded I have been entirely preoccupied with the enormously long (& ever growing) to-do list. Unfortunately, I get burnt out after working on the house for approximately 2.5 hours. BUT I don't want to do anything else because I know that we should be working on the house. Makes perfect sense, right? Let's just pretend that it does.

R doesn't share this incessant need to knock off items on the to-do list. He works on things here and there & things move along, but he doesn't forget to have a good time. We may finish all of the projects eventually, but for now we have a house to live in & that is good enough. Maybe 😛

So we took the weekend off. We decided to do fun things & enjoy the kids. On Saturday morning we got up early, piled into the car &  headed to the Kemah Boardwalk.

We over-estimated the time it would take to get to Kemah, so even with a few pit stops on the way there we arrived 45 minutes early. Whoops. Ever talked a place up to your young kids and then get there before the place opens? So. Many. Questions. We walked the park and watched the boats and the water fountain until things started to open up.

We got wristbands for all 4 of us & rode some rides! The photo of me with B below is right before the ride started and she screamed like someone was killing her. Maybe she will develop my love of carnival/theme park rides - but so far? Notsomuch.


E was not so sure about the Ferris Wheel at first. By the end of the day he was enjoying it, though.


We caught a nice breeze riding the train around the boardwalk. It was so hot. I know, we live in Texas and I should be used to it. Days like Saturday just catch me by surprise and I just can't believe how hot it can be when the sun beats down on you.


R suggested getting a caricature of the kids done. I didn't think they would sit still long enough. I was wrong. They did wiggle and get a little restless, but overall they did really well. The artist did a great job, I think. I always wanted to get a caricature done of myself when I was young, so I thought this was pretty neat. Just look at those smiles!

























We got home from Kemah sometime between 2 & 3pm. R had a few adjustments he needed to make on his micro sprint & the kids needed naps. We loaded up for the second time that day later in the afternoon and went to the track (Golden Triangle Raceway Park) for R to race. He didn't end up getting to race because of... well, lets not pretend I know anything about that. He just had some difficulties with his car and couldn't race. It was actually nice getting to watch some of the races as a family.


Two small rain 'storms' blew through during the evening. During the first one there you could see a whole rainbow. It was so neat! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the entire rainbow in my frame.


Sunday afternoon/evening we took a (very) quick boat trip on the bayou. Being on the boat is definitely my favorite family past-time. I could sit on the back of the boat watching the kids ride in the tube or sit on the front and appreciate the view for an un-ending amount of time.




















On our way home, we got to see another rainbow. The kids were so excited. There was even a double rainbow, although it's hard to see in my crappy pictures.

As we were pulling into the driveway, the rainbow was over our house. I think that photo is so neat and I love to remember what the rainbow is a symbol of. I'm learning to rest in God's promises.



Since it was Father's Day, R got to pick where we went to dinner on Sunday. He picked Golden Corral (bleck). The man loves a good buffet. I decided after this trip that the desserts might actually make this place worth it. MIGHT. Because holy jeeze that place was crowded and just... kinda gross. But my deserts were pretty okay 😁











Thus ended the perfect weekend. There were a few rough spots, of course. When you have two small children and two adults with differing opinions there are bound to be rough spots. I like to think we made the best of the time we were given this weekend. With everything we did, I was still able to fit church into Sunday morning AND I got completely caught up on laundry. I consider that a major win.

Here's to hoping next weekend is just as great!





No comments:

Post a Comment